Monday, February 15, 2010

{the delicious hilarious valentine's day}

As a newly married couple on the verge of moving and starting graduate degrees, we're not exactly doing a lot of extravagant spending lately. Of course we appreciate the finer things in life... who doesn't, really. But I'm also a firm believer in the fact that every now and then... we deserve to spoil ourselves ever so slightly. And one of Maurice and I's favorite ways to indulge ourselves is with great food at great restaurants. Among our favorites are The Lodge and Citrus Restaurant (inside Hotel Valencia). And for a long time, we've wanted to try Silo Elevated Cuisine, so we figured Valentine's day would be the perfect opportunity! They had a special 4 course meal with wine pairings prepared for the occasion, and dare I say... it may be one of my new favorites.


Our meal started with a lobster bisque soup, which I loved. Maurice wasn't sure he liked the "seafoody" taste, and after reminding him that lobsters do, in fact, live in the sea, we did agree that the wine was off to an excellent start.

Next came salad, and we were even, because I am not a salad person. However, I can usually find something in a salad that I like, so while Maurice scarfed his down, I munched on the cheese crisp and croutons and periodically moved some of the lettuce from my plate to his, so it wouldn't be obvious that I disliked the salad. I don't hold that against Silo... I generally don't like salad anywhere, so they aren't to blame. This round of wine was also great, as was my cheese crisp, and dinner was about to get real good.

For the main course, we got to choose from several menu items. Maurice chose the filet mignon while I had the wood grilled duck. To say it was delicious would be putting it mildly. Both were cooked to perfection and we traded bites back and forth across our table several times. This round of wine? also excellent.

And then came dessert, which was chocolate gelato with cream and crushed espresso. I will confess that I didn't have high hopes for such a simple sounding dessert, but I was pleasantly surprised. The espresso was not overpowering and the wine was a perfect sparkling dessert wine.

By the time the check came, we were full and satisfied, allbeit a little bit tipsy. So put Silo in the win column, because the food was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly and attentive. And if you're big on atmosphere like me, you'll love the modern and bustly New York vibe.

And as if our Valentine's night wasn't already great enough, we had great tickets to see Gabriel Iglesias at the Majestic after dinner. I'm as big a fan of great food as I am great comedians, and he does a great show. We laughed. A lot.

We were pretty late getting home and it was pretty painful to get up for work this morning, but it was totally worth it to spoil ourselves with a great night out for Valentine's day.

1 comments:

The Allen's said...

whoah, sounds awesome! we may have to try it next time we're in SA. thanks for the tip k.tope. wish we could have chatted more at the wedding ... see YOU at the reunion!!!